These days, Aadhaar card has become one of the essential documents that serve as a valid proof of address and identity not only in various government-related schemes but also for financial matters such as in filing an income tax return, while opening a bank account, etc.
There are a good many benefits of linking your phone number to your Aadhaar. Firstly, it will help you re-verify your income tax return using Aadhaar once the OTP is sent to your mobile number (the no. which you have linked with Aadhaar). Secondly, it will make it easy for you to update your personal details linked to your Aadhaar online via the OTP that will be sent to your registered mobile number. Furthermore, downloading an e-copy of your Aadhaar card online also requires you to provide the one-time password that will be sent to your registered mobile number.
So now that if you want to link your phone number to your Aadhaar, there are two scenarios:-
- First, you are linking it for the first time
- Second, you have changed your mobile number and want to update it to your Aadhaar.
If you are linking your phone number to Aadhaar for the first time, you must follow the below steps:
For the first timers, linking a phone number to Aadhaar has to be done offline for the reason that the process will require you to enter the OTP that is sent to your registered mobile number. So online linking is not possible if you are updating your mobile number for the very first time.
Process to update your phone number to Aadhaar first time:-
- Visit your nearest Aadhaar center to get the Aadhaar update/correction form. You can get this form online as well on the official UIDAI website.
- Once you get the form, fill it correctly, check for spelling mistakes and errors (if any) and submit it to the concerned person at the center. Do not forget to mention on the form that only the mobile number needs to be updated.
- Note that you will need to submit the correction form along with a copy of your Aadhaar card and a photocopy of identity proof such as voter ID card, PAN card, etc.
- Once your form is submitted at the Aadhaar center, the representatives there will also verify your biometric data including your thumb impression to authenticate the changes.
- After verifying the details, you will be provided with the acknowledgment slip at the center and your updated Aadhaar will reach you within 10 working days.
Individuals who need to update their new mobile number to Aadhaar can instigate the process online by following the below steps:-
- Visit the official UIDAI website.
- Click on the “AadhaarUpdation” tab that will redirect you to the Aadhaar self-service portal.
- You can also visit the self-service portal of Aadhaar directly as well via https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update
- Fill up the form present on the page by filling in your Aadhaar number, the captcha text, and request for OTP. (it will be sent to your existing mobile number)
- Upon entering the OTP in the box, you will be directed to the page wherein you need to enter your new mobile number under “Select field (s) to update” option.
- Once you enter the new mobile number, click on ‘Submit’ and you are done.
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the UIDAI on behalf of the Government of India. It is important to keep your Aadhaar card updated to utilize all the services and benefits provided through this card.